Thursday, June 17, 2004

June 17, 2004

Little observation that might make your head swim ...

On my way home, I drive down Hwy 114 which runs just north of DFW Airport. On most days, traffic moves fairly slow. Yesterday was no exception. I started noticing that there were just a TON of planes coming and going out of DFW. On my short drive home (25 min.) I could count close to 35 planes either leaving or coming into my little town. Probably always like this but I just have never paid that much attention since we live so close. This is where the head swimming begins...

I started imagining on each of those planes all of the different people on there and why they were on that plane. Were they arriving on business, coming home from a week long business trip, vacation, coming to see little Johnny (not to be confused with Smooth Johnny! HA) graduate, and even those coming home from Iraq. I then started thinking about all the planning that went into getting that person on the plane. Someone made the call to American or Delta or more than likely went online. Someone took some time to get the suitcase out of the closet for the first time in years while another person has done this so many times that they can pack in a little carry-on so they don't have to wait in line at baggage claim.

Then there's the family and friends. Someone is just minutes away from giving their grandson a big hug, their boss a handshake in welcoming them to Dallas/Ft. Worth, or a kiss to their spouse as they start to enjoy 2 weeks of R&R before heading back to the Middle East.

I'm not sure how I didn't have a wreck during all of this thinking. Just amazed me when I thought about how big this world is. I was simply looking at 30+ planes and the people it involved. That didn't count all of the other poor souls stuck in traffic on the same highway I was on. What about the other highways in DFW. The other airports in Dallas. The other cities in the US. The other airports in the US. And it can go on and on...

Just a wild thought I wanted to share. I guess when my 3 year old sings "My God is so big..." I guess HE must be to cover all this ground !

God bless you all,

SJ


1 Comments:

At 10:54 AM , Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

So weird--I always think about things like that. We fly a lot and I never get on a plane without asking the question in my head..."how DO these things get off the ground??"
I love airports and guessing people's stories. You're right--our God is SO big!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home