Friday, July 15, 2005

Logo Police


For those that know me real well, I have a love for logos. I may have even blogged about this last year when I first started blogging. I'm facinated that some logos look really great while others look so bad that I can't fathom that someone actually think the logo makes sense. It's a true art form for me.

Well, my company, Sprint, is merging with Nextel (yes that's the Nextel Cup Series to all you NASCAR fans). Part of the process of merging the two companies is deciding on what the "brand" will be going forward. The brand involves more than just the logo but I'm more focused on the logo. So, back in June, the 2 companies revealed what the new logo would be for the new merged corporation. Would it be called Nextel? Would it be called Sprint? Or it would be a whole new name.

Well, as an almost 13 year veteran of Sprint, I was pleased they kept the name Sprint. However, they've dropped the Sprint Red that I've known and been surrounded by for years for the bold black and yellow colors of Nextel. Guess it's the best of both worlds. Here are the 2 logos of Sprint and Nextel if you are unfamiliar with them:

Hard to get the 2 logos to line up but you get the idea? So what do you think about the new logo? I have my thoughts but I'd be interested in yours! Let me know.

God bless you all,

SJ

2 Comments:

At 4:11 PM , Blogger Kelly Vaughn said...

What's the point? Why not keep the Sprint logo as is? Is it a compromise to appease all the Nextel fans (Hey at least you got the colors!)? If they're gonna keep the name, why go for a gold and black logo...just keep it the same. I'm for longevity when it comes to logos. What happens if they decide to merge with yet another company...change it again? At least they didn't try to merge the names...like, Sprinxtel! And what's the funky fan shaped thing supposed to represent? Communication? Futuristic? Action? Doesn't say much to me. I like the red better for a logo...easier on the eyes than gold and yellow. I'm reminded of the Caterpiller brand of machinery...doesn't fit. And way to much yellow space around the letters? Way too much!

 
At 5:34 PM , Blogger Donny - MarketingTwin #2 said...

I thought I'd respond here in case you check the site for comments. I'm OK with the logo but I have a few things I don't like. I think the new logo is in place because the merger represents a NEW company. Guess that's like when I got married, we got a new house to live in and new sheets on the bed b/c the old ones just represented bachelorhood. I think there's too much space between Sprint and the "thing-a-mahoochy". We don't know what to call it and no one has ever explained it. I don't like the font for the word Sprint either. It's too wimpy looking. I wish they would have used the bold (yet plain) ARIAL font of NEXTEL. I'm glad they didn't merge the name too but it could have been interesting to work for "Sextel Communications" Can you say phone sex? This ain't ya father's Sprint no mo!!! Appreciate your candor brother ... and I hope you don't mind mine! Yikes - black sheep is on the lose!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home