Sunday, December 02, 2007

5 Days to 10 Years !

Ok, 5 days to go until our 10-year anniversary. If you missed any of the last posts (that started the 10 day countdown), scroll down to read them.

Over the last 10 years, the Richland Hills Church of Christ (RHCC) has played a significant role in our marriage. This is the church that Kendra and I attend together. Because of our active involvement there, I certainly couldn't reflect without mentioning this wonderful body of believers.

RHCC is where Kendra and I first met. It was in the spring of 1995 in an upstairs classroom, I believe on a Wednesday night. My brother was teaching a class on Acts from what I recall and Kendra, who was working at the church as an intern in the youth ministry, was attending the class. I was given the thought by some friends that I needed to meet her which I anxiously made happen. The rest is history.

RHCC is where we got married. I began attending RHCC in the spring of 1992 so it was great to get married in the church that I had spent the last 5 years at as a single guy. During our engagement and now our married time together, we both have been very active at RHCC. Together, we spent many years volunteering with the youth ministry. We went on high school and jr. high retreats, taught together in Sunday morning classes and I was even a volunteer with the media ministry. We started a new chapter in 2004 when we transitioned out of youth ministry and began our ministry together by teaching children. We wanted to teach with our kids and our kids' friends. It's the stage of life we are in and it's great to see how we can have an influence on these kids. For 3 years straight, Kendra was the lead Sunday morning teacher in Room 124. I was her assistant and we taught alongside some great friends in Don and Barbara Wilson who we may have never met at RHCC had it not been for this 3 & 4 year old class. One of the things that Kendra and I learned back when working with the youth ministry is we have VERY different teaching styles. So when we started teaching children, we quickly learned the value of "role definition"!! We each had a certain role we played while teaching which worked out great. I think we are both too stubborn to have the same roles so it's best when we define our separate roles!!! (HA) Today, we are both teaching classes on Wednesday night so we are enjoying teaching our kids and our kid's friends. Kendra is one of the lead teachers in the kindergartner class and I'm helping teach a class that rotates through 1st and 5th grades. Eventually in the rotation, I will have the fun job of teaching when Tyler (our 1st grader) and his friends are in there which should be fun.

RHCC has provided a great place for our family to worship. Our kids thoroughly enjoy RHCC and they have made lots of friends there. Of course, we feel the same way as they do!! We love our Ministers and we love our Elders. I believe Kendra and I are laying a strong foundation that reminds our kids that church should be an important part of your daily life. Both Kendra and I had that background growing up and we are blessed to be able to carry that message forward for our kids to see and witness. And thankfully we have a church like RHCC that we enjoy and that can help us build our ministry as a family. Thanks RHCC!!

Blessed be your name,
SJ

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home