Monday, July 18, 2005

Dearly Beloved, we are gathered today out in left field!

Confused by the title? Well, maybe I'm still a little dazed from my weekend news that I'm not thinking clearly!! Yesterday, over Sunday lunch at Rosa's, my sister-in-law and fiance', Aric, asked ME to perform their wedding in September!! It was way of left field because I was not expecting that at all. What an honor to be asked to perform a wedding and have it be your own sister-in-laws... I just can't put into words!! Wow - I'm still kinda in shock about it. I've been told that becoming an ordained minister is fairly simple (not sure if that's a good thing or not less we offend our church ministers who went to school for this!) so this shouldn't be a problem to overcome. Just a slight detail that I hope we can make happen.

I'm checking with our church to make sure there are not any restrictions against this although I don't think there is. Of course, they may take one look at me and make one up on the spot!! I've also begun the process of checking with several close friends who have performed weddings to get their advice and sample scripts. A wedding ceremony should be a personal event in my opinion but there are some staples when it comes to having matrimonial and ceremonial bliss! For example, "Who gives the woman?" and "Aric, you may kiss your bride". If anyone has any advice they want to share with me, make a comment. I'm all ears at this point since the wedding is only 8 weeks away!! (Not sure if that's enough time to watch Leno and Letterman to get some good monologue jokes!!)

I'm so excited for Monica and Aric. This has been a day we have all been praying for as a family and I know that Aric is an answer to those prayers. He takes good care of my sister-in-law and it will be honor to join them together as husband and wife. Just hope I don't mess anything up.

God bless you all,

Pastor SJ
(The title comes with being an ordained minister according to one site so I'm simply trying it on to see how it sounds!!)

1 Comments:

At 4:05 PM , Blogger Kelly Vaughn said...

Pastor,
What an incredible honor!
Is it just chivalry why you would instruct the groom to kiss the bride? Why not throw everyone a curve and say, "Hey, Mon, would like to kiss your groom?" Don't know if the fam is ready for such a non-traditional approach, but it could get a good laugh!
-Randy

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home