Monday, June 21, 2004

Happie Fawders Day Daaaaddd !

The wheel. The computer. Microwaves. Cars. Liquid Paper (when you still needed it). Cliff Notes. And to Sonora Dodd for her great invention ! Sonora Dodd...??? (Huh?) To learn more about one of the great "inventors" and her invention, read this from http://wilstar.net/holidays/fathers.htm#HISTORY:

Sonora Dodd, of Washington, first had the idea of a "father's day." She thought of the idea for Father's Day while listening to a Mother's Day sermon in 1909. Sonora wanted a special day to honor her father, William Smart. Smart, who was a Civil War veteran, was widowed when his wife died while giving birth to their sixth child. Mr. Smart was left to raise the newborn and his other five children by himself on a rural farm in eastern Washington state.

After Sonora became an adult she realized the selflessness her father had shown in raising his children as a single parent. It was her father that made all the parental sacrifices and was, in the eyes of his daughter, a courageous, selfless, and loving man. Sonora's father was born in June, so she chose to hold the first Father's Day celebration in Spokane, Washington on the 19th of June, 1910.

President Calvin Coolidge, in 1924, supported the idea of a national Father's Day. Then in 1966 President Lyndon Johnson signed a presidential proclamation declaring the 3rd Sunday of June as Father's Day.

=====================================

Hard to imagine that it wasn't until 1966 that we had a presidential proclamation. Wow - makes you wonder what my grandad's 3rd Sundays were like !! Just same ol' chores - no special treatment I guess. No fun !!

My Father's Day weekend was great. Having my family back in town was the greatest gift for me. They were gone for 5 days to visit other family but I sure was glad to see them. I had the forethought to think that my wife might need a little "away" time from the kids so I planned a date for us Saturday night when they arrived. I think she needed that. (pat, pat on my back!) We saw the new Spielberg/Hanks movie - thought it was good and funny. Not realistic but that's what differentiates a movie from a documentary. Enjoyed our dinner and Marble Slab ice cream afterwards as well.

Sunday was a great day for me. Once we got home from church and had put the kids down for a nap, here was my afternoon. US Open Golf on TV, snooze, golf, snooze, golf, golf and more golf ! That was it! Happie Fawders Day to me !!

For any of you out there reading this, hope your Father's Day was great. I was fortunate to still be able to talk to my Dad. Some of my friends don't have the luxury because of their Dad's passing or a strained relationship. I consider myself richly blessed in this regard! Blessings to all you Fathers out there !

God bless you all,

SJ

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home