Thursday, August 19, 2004

Knockin' over judges to Gold !

For those that saw it last night, wasn't it just amazing? We got home from church last night, put our kids to bed and immediately turned on the TV to NBC. The women's 4x200 relay was in mid-stream and it was fun to watch us get the gold and break a world-record by a whole 2 seconds (which in swimming is an eternity).

Then there were the gymnastics. Now, as from yesterday blog would suggest, I'm not a huge gymnastics fan. Watching guys run around tight pants with more muscles than I could dream of leaves me emotionally confused as a manly-man ! But I digress...

I started paying attention when Paul Hamm (I knew about him because he has a twin brother [like me] named Morgan also on the squad) went to do his routine on the vault. If you saw it, you know what I saw. D-I-S-A-S-T-E-R !! "Yikes!" I said as I watched Paul miss his landing, fall off the mat and almost knocked over the judges. Kendra was brushing her teeth and immediately rushed to the TV to see what I was watching. Watching the replays didn't help anyone feel any more optimistic that Paul would be representing the good 'ol US of A on the gold medal stand. He was the favorite - but not any more.

However, like in great sporting events in history - it wasn't over. Through some minor mistakes by other competitors and a clutch last performance on the high-bar, Paul got the shocking news that he was an Olympic Champion. If you were watching it like us, you probably either shed a tear or had goose bumps running all over your body. It was amazing.

Afterwards, Paul made the comment that he just never gave up... hmmmm - sermons.com just got another addition! I was reminded of these passages to lift your spirits if you feel that the love of God just isn't in you today or if you feel like Jesus has had enough of your pitiful attempt at living life as HIM:

I Corinthians 1:9 (MSG)
God, who got you started in this spiritual adventure, shares with us the life of his Son and our Master Jesus. He will never give up on you. Never forget that.

I Corinthians 13:4 (MSG)
Love never gives up. Love cares more for others than for self.

I'm sure there are other verses that come to mind and I'd love for you to share them on my comments section !

God bless you all,

SJ

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home